Here you will find a list of the most frequently asked questions and our answers.
You can see a further list on the subject areas of „contracts“ and „social security“ in the internal area. (Membership required)


The name is composed of creative and active – we creatives want to actively shape our future. Creative and active!

From a FB group in which we exchanged ideas and supported each other when we suddenly, due to Corona, could not and were not allowed to work anymore! We quickly realized that we wanted to be more: an active and powerful association with many members.

By contacting the agency (email, homepage). Mostly the requirements are on the website of the agency, which material (CV, recordings, photos, etc.) you should send them.

You can exchange ideas with colleagues.
You can, for example, look on a page like Operabase to see who represents other artists.
You can ask your theatre which agencies they work with.
You can become a member of krea[K]tiv and contact us.
You can visit the new forum from „jeunesse-backstage“

Yes, by building a network of conductors, directors and casting directors. However, this is much easier with an agency, because the agencies usually already have a connection to the opera houses and they can „mediate“ you more easily.

A1 is a certificate. You need it if you work in several EU countries. With it, you can prove that you have a social insurance and have your salaries earned abroad credited at home. In principle, all persons are subject to the legislation of the Member State in which they work. However, if workers are only temporarily employed in another EU member state (so-called posting), the law of the posting state continues to apply exceptionally. With an A1 certificate, employees and other employed persons can prove whether they are subject to the law of the country of residence (posting state) or the regulations of a foreign state. In these cases, the A1 certificate documents that the person working abroad is still subject to German law. If you work in several Member States, you also need the A1 certificate. The advantage is that it avoids the simultaneous payment of contributions in several Member States and a change between social security systems.

For employees and civil servants, the application must be submitted by the employer or employer. Self-employed persons must contact the department responsible for the application directly.‘ Which departement is responsible „depends on how the person concerned” has health insurance.

At the health insurance: the document is responsible for all persons who are voluntarily insured, family, or compulsorily insured in the statutory health insurance. The same applies to persons who are insured in the statutory health insurance and have private supplementary insurance.

At the Arbeitsgemeinschaft berufsständischer Versorgungseinrichtungen (ABV): Persons with a professional pension submit their application here. This also applies if you only have private health insurance.

At the responsible pension insurance institution: Anyone who does not have statutory health insurance and is not professionally insured applies for the A1 certificate from their pension insurance institution. This applies to people who only have private health insurance.

At the GKV-Spitzenverband: For persons who are habitually professionally active in more than one Member State (so-called „ordinary multiple employment“*), the application is submitted to the competent institution of the State of residence. In Germany, this is the GKV-Spitzenverband (German Liaison Office for Health Insurance – Abroad, DVKA). The health insurance ratio does not apply to multiple employees.

*An ‚ordinary‘ activity in several Member States is to be assumed if the activity is also carried out in at least one other Member State on at least one day per month or five days per quarter.

Source: Deutsche Rentenversicherung

The works council represents the interests of all employees of the theatre vis-à-vis the theatre management. In particular, the ensemble representation represents all soloists at the house and can respond even more precisely to the problems or concerns of the colleagues; explain these and enter into dialogue with the theatre management as a „buffer“.


It is rather not common, and also not useful, because here music and stage coordinate.
How much voice do I give?
What do I hear?
Am I heard/loud/present enough?
when do I get out of breath in action?
How do I coordinate scenes and singing?
What does the orchestra, the conductor, need from me?
If you are sick or not fit, you can of course mark.

That you only have to pay taxes on your income in one country (either country of residence or country of activity).

Every theater is different, some don’t like to be “geduzt” without being asked.

In general, yes. It is prohibited on stage, unless it is part of the production.

There is no simple answer here.
Imagine preparing a marathon – what do you need to get there?
The sequence of final rehearsals allows you to divide your forces.
During the stage rehearsals, you can occasionally mark, vocally and physically.
Especially with repetitions.
At the piano main rehearsal, you do not have to sing out, in this rehearsal the focus is on the technical sequences. ( light, stage design, costume, mask)



The KBB – the artistic office and the HR department.


It would be best if you asked the company office how the theatre generally stands on the subject of pets (house rules). If allowed, you should consult with your colleagues if necessary (allergies/phobias).


If something is specifically uncomfortable for you, talk to the people in question.
When it comes to a general lack of hygiene in the make-up room/dressing room, you can contact the production management or the company office.


Write us an email and we will invite you to a meeting to get to know you and your ideas.

You can contact Themis, a trust office set up especially for theatre, or the Federal Anti-Discrimination Agency.


Yes. Unless you are ill, then you should discuss with the conductor whether it makes sense to come to the rehearsal or not.

Again, there is no fixed rule.
It is best to discuss such questions with the colleagues concerned.


Rehearsal clothes are often provided by the theatre, but to be sure, check before the rehearsals start.


It’s best to discuss your discomfort directly with the directing team. Try to name your problem objectively and constructively. Discuss it in 2nd instance with the ensemble representation or the artistic director.

No. Only with the express permission of all parties involved.

No. However, you can use them in your tax return as „costs for application“.

There is a group „Guest Performance Apartments“ (Gastspiel-Wohnungen) on Facebook. Many theatres also have a list of apartments or special theatre apartments. Otherwise the usual portals such as Airbnb or similar. Usually, the KBB-office also has a list of apartments available. It is always worth asking them.

Because we want to make our members special offers on important topics for their membership fee.


Yes – if you are a member of the association, it is also possible to register for all workshops or to listen to the recordings in the internal area.


Since the advertising costs are expenses from employment,  this term has no application for self-employed and small entrepreneurs. However, most of the expenses that can be claimed by employees as advertising costs, are also deductible for the self-employed. How does that work? Well, this circumstance only seems a little confusing at first glance. If you take a closer look at the topic, you quickly realize that with self-employed people just use another terminology. See: